This firehouse opened on February 15, 1928. It was built on the site of two old firehouses that dated back to the annexation of the Town of Dorchester to the City of Boston. The firehouse originally a three-story building, however the third floor was removed in later years.
From 1867 to 1928, two buildings, side-by-side, housed Engine 17 and Ladder 7. The current firehouse was built on the site of the two earlier buildings.
The firehouse is located at 7 Parish Street, near the corner of Winter Street, in the Meeting House Hill section of Dorchester, offering easy access to many important thoroughfares in the area. Located directly opposite the firehouse is the prominent white-spired First Parish Church.
Engine 17 and Ladder 7 respond to incidents primarily in the Dorchester and Roxbury areas, and to parts of South Boston.
Engine 17 responds to approximately 2600 incidents per year. Ladder 7 responds to approximately 3100 incidents per year.