This firehouse opened on April 28, 1941 when Engine Company 3 and Ladder Company 3 moved in. Both companies had been quartered at 60 Bristol Street since December 8, 1937 at the-then Fire Headquarters.
The firehouse is located at the corner of Harrison Avenue and Wareham Street, diagonally across the street from the rear of Holy Cross Cathedral. This had been site of an earlier firehouse built in 1863 and was the quarters of Hook and Ladder 3. When Ladder 3 moved out in 1875, the firehouse became the Department Repair Shop.
On March 23, 1970, Ladder 3 was disbanded and Aerial Tower 1 was organized in its place.
The firehouse currently quarters Engine Company 3 and the Special Unit (H-2), which serves now as part of the Safety/Hazardous Materials Division and is the successor to the Lighting Plant Unit.
Three plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty:
Companies assigned to this house over the years: Engine Company 3, Ladder Company 3 (deactivated March 23, 1970), Aerial Tower 1 (March 23, 1970 to October 20, 1981), Lighting Plant 1, Special Unit (H2)
Engine 3 has a large response area, covering the South End, Roxbury, Back Bay, South Boston and parts of Downtown. The Special Unit has a city-wide response area. It responds to major incidents city-wide and is available for special calls as needed. The Special Unit carries portable lighting units, Hazardous Materials tools and equipment, Speedi-Dry, and an assortment of special equipment used in firefighting operations.
Engine 3 responds to approximately 2100 incidents per year. The Special Unit (H2) responds to approximately 500 incidents per year.