This firehouse was opened on June 6, 1949 when Engine Company 55 was organized. The firehouse was built to serve an isolated area of West Roxbury, near the town line of Dedham, that was undergoing a rapid growth of residential development.
The firehouse is located at 5115 Washington Street, at the corner of Rockingham Avenue in the West Roxbury section of the city.
Ladder Company 5 was organized at this firehouse on January 8, 1975. It had been in service previously in South Boston from January 1, 1870 to May 25, 1954. It was disbanded on April 10, 1981.
A plaque is mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate a firefighter who died in the Line Of Duty.
Engine 55 responds to incidents in the West Roxbury, Roslindale, Hyde Park and Readville sections of the city. Engine 55 responds to approximately 1100 incidents per year.