The High Pressure Pumping Station (HPPS) is located at 175 Kneeland Street, Downtown, opposite Lincoln Street.
This facility contains four high pressure water pumps which, when activated, can supply the high pressure hydrant system in the downtown area with high pressure water. The hydrants supplied by the HPPS are colored red and are separate from the ‘regular’ hydrant system, whose hydrants are painted yellow.
When an alarm of fire is transmitted in the high pressure district, the Fire Alarm Office (FAO) remotely activates one of the four pumps.
The High Pressure Pumping System was placed in service on December 19, 1921 with 310 hydrants and 12 miles of pipe. The High Pressure was to be provided by a new High Pressure Station #2, located at the Boston Edison Station on Atlantic Avenue, near Pearl Street.
The high pressure system now contains nearly 17 miles of piping throughout the high pressure district downtown.