This firehouse, actually a condominium apartment, was opened on May 16, 1991 when Marine Unit 1 and Marine Unit 2 moved in after relocation from temporary quarters. Relocation had allowed the run-down Battery Wharf to be redeveloped into the Burroughs Wharf condo complex. Part of the redevelopment agreement stipulated that the BFD Marine Unit would return to its long-time berth upon completion.
The ‘firehouse’ is located on Burroughs Wharf, which extends into the harbor from the intersection of Commercial Street and Battery Street, in the North End section of the city.
The ‘firehouse’ is on the first floor on the harbor end of the building. A short walk of twenty feet across the public pedestrian walkway provides access to the ramp to the berth locations.
Engine 31 and Engine 47 (Fireboats) were re-designated Marine Unit 1 and Marine Unit 2 on September 15, 1976. Engine Company 31 had been in service on the waterfront since January 1, 1873, while Engine Company 47 had been in service since August 1909.
The Marine Unit responds to incidents anywhere on the water in Boston Harbor, Chelsea Creek, Mystic River, Charles River and to waterfront properties throughout the city navigable by boat.
The large boat, Marine Unit 1, responds to approximately 300 incidents per year. The smaller boat, Marine Unit 2, responds to approximately 200 incidents per year.