This firehouse was built in 1872 as part of the Town of West Roxbury Fire Department. The firehouse is located at 659 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain, near the intersection of Green Street.
The Town of West Roxbury consisted of the present-day Jamaica Plain, Roslindale and West Roxbury. Upon annexation on January 5, 1874, West Roxbury became part of the City of Boston. Engine 1 and Ladder 1 of the West Roxbury Fire Department became part of the Boston Fire Department. Thus, Engine Company 28 and Ladder Company 10 were organized here on the annexation day, January 5, 1874.
Engine 28 and Ladder 10 remained here until a new firehouse was built at 746 Centre Street, several blocks away.
Engine 28 and Ladder 10 moved out on December 18, 1984 and the firehouse was closed. The building was sold and remains extant, with J. P. Licks Ice Cream parlor occupying the street floor.