This firehouse was built in 1873 as part of the Brighton Fire Department, before the Town of Brighton was annexed to the City of Boston. The firehouse is located at 20 Chestnut Hill Avenue, near the intersection of Academy Hill Road.
The Town of Brighton consisted on the present-day Allston and Brighton sections of the city. On annexation day, Engine 1 and Ladder 1 of the Brighton Fire Department became part of the Boston Fire Department. Thus, Engine Company 29 and Ladder Company 11 were organized here on the day of annexation, January 5, 1874.
Both fire companies remained here until a new firehouse was built.
Engine 29 and Ladder 11 moved out on December 20, 1929 to new quarters at 138 Chestnut Hill Avenue.
The building is extant, although it has been extensively remodeled and is currently used as the Veronica B. Smith Mult-Service Senior Center.