The fire house at 444 Western Avenue in the Allston section of Boston was opened on November 3, 1888, as the quarters of newly organized Engine Company 34.
The building was designed by City Architect Arthur H. Vinal.
The station was the first to be added to the Allston-Brighton section of Boston since its annexation on January 5, 1874. The station covered the north side of Allston-Brighton and served the rapidly developing residential areas.
Engine 34 was designated Engine-Squad 34 on September 21, 1954, when the Fire Department initiated the Engine-Squad concept. Five engine companies were designated as Engine-Squads to provide more flexibility for Rescue-Squad fire duty.
On April 6, 1956 Engine-Squad 34 was moved to 138 Chestnut Hill Avenue, quarters of Engine 29, and was designated Engine-Squad 29. Engine 29 was moved to the former quarters of Engine-Squad 34 and was designated Engine 34. The Engine-Squad concept was phased out during June and July, 1969.
The station was closed on April 10, 1981 and Engine 34 was disbanded.
The building is extant and is now known as the Engine House Studios.