Engine Company 5 was organized at this new firehouse on September 1, 1860. The firehouse is located at 64 Marion Street, between Eutaw Street and Trenton Street in the East Boston section of the city. A photo of the original firehouse is at the top left. The wood building to the left in the photo was taken for renovations in 1917.
On October 4, 1917, Engine 5 moved temporarily to the quarters of Chemical Engine Company 7 at 360 Saratoga Street , while renovations were underway at 64 Marion Street. Engine 5 moved back on September 27, 1919. The middle photo at left shows the firehouse after the renovations.
Engine 5 stayed at 64 Marion Street until September 21, 1938, when the company moved out to 360 Saratoga Street , in the Day Square section of East Boston, where they remain today.
In the 1950’s, the building was the home of the Lieutenant Lawrence J. Flaherty Post 30 of the American Legion.
At a later date, the building was sold and has now been converted into condominiums and remains extant (see lower left photo.) This building was the subject of a Boston Herald Real Estate article published on June 12, 2012, page 7. The article explains that fire poles were reinstalled as part of the condominium conversion. The residents slide down the poles to answer the front doorbell.