The firehouse was opened on March 15, 1847 as the quarters of Hand Engine 1. Hose Company 5 was organized here on August 17, 1860.
The firehouse was located at 398 Shawmut Avenue, between West Brookline Street and West Canton Street.
Hose 5 remained here until December 20, 1895 when Hose 5 was disbanded and Chemical Engine Company 4 was organized. Chemical 4 remained here until the company was disbanded on October 26, 1917 and the firehouse was closed.
The building is no longer extant. It was demolished in late 1917, to make way for a municipal building.
On the map, the number 3 inside the red circle indicates that Box 3 within Fire Alarm District 5 was located here.
In the photo, the colonial-style firebox light can be seen by the head of the driver. The large ‘1’ above the second floor window relates to the origin of the building as the firehouse of Hand Engine 1.