The Boston Fire Department established a Veterinary Hospital on Atkinson St., Roxbury, in 1900. Fire Commissioner Henry S. Russell was the principal person involved in establishing and maintaining the facility. The newspaper article from 1900 describes the hospital.
After horses had been removed from service in the Fire Department, in favor of motor vehicles, the building was used by other city departments. In the 1960’s the City of Boston Bridge Service occupied the building.