Engine Co. 13 firehouse at 201 Cabot St. Roxbury (1865)
The firehouse at 201 Cabot St. was the quarters of Engine 13 from 1868 to 1938. The building was a 2 1/2 story, two bay brick firehouse that was located on 4832 sq. feet of land at the corner of Cabot and Culvert Sts. The house was built by the City of Roxbury and opened on April 6, 1865. Roxbury Steam Engine No. 3 was established here on that date.
The City of Roxbury was annexed to Boston on January 6, 1868 and Roxbury Engine 3 became Engine Co. 13 of the Boston Fire Department.
On April 7, 1874, new fire districts were established and the headquarters of District 8 were located at the quarters of Engine 13 on Cabot St. District 8 remained at this location until August, 1884 when they transferred to the quarters of Hose 7 and Ladder 12 at 1046 Tremont St.
The so called “Roxbury Conflagration” occurred on May 15, 1894. Engine 13 was the first due engine at that fire which started in the grandstand of the National League ballpark on Walpole St. The steam fire engine of Engine 13 was destroyed at the fire. The firehouse of Hose Co. 7 and Ladder Co. 12 at 1046 Tremont St. was destroyed on that date and both companies were relocated temporarily to 201 Cabot St. Ladder 12’s ladder truck was parked on the street beside the firehouse as there was no room for the apparatus inside the firehouse.
Hose Co. 7 was disbanded on April 6, 1896. One month later on May 4, 1896, Ladder 12 moved back to a new firehouse built at the same location at 1046 Tremont St.
The name of Culvert St. was changed to Whittier St. on March 1, 1898.
On August 1, 1922, the pump and hose wagon of Engine 13, were changed from horse drawn to motor fire apparatus.
The firehouse at 201 Cabot St. was permanently closed on April 21, 1938 and Engine Co. 13 was moved to the quarters of Ladder 12 at 1046 Tremont St.
The building remained standing for many years and was last used a a machine shop. The building was owned by the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
A demolition permit was issued on January 14, 1972. The firehouse was torn down and work on the site was finished on April 4, 1972.