This firehouse was built in 1867 by the Town of Dorchester before annexation to the City of Boston. In 1869, in preparation for annexation, the firehouse was enlarged and remodeled.
View a city report on the construction of the firehouse in 1869 by the Town of Dorchester: City Report
The firehouse was built on the side of a steep hill, allowing for a full basement area facing onto East Street, which ran downhill parallel to Parish Street.
The photo to the left shows the wood firehouse of Ladder 7 in the background.
The photo on the bottom left shows the wood firehouse of Ladder 7, circa 1888.
In 1927 both firehouses were demolished and a new three-story, three-bay firehouse was built on the same property. The new firehouse was occupied on February 15, 1928. The new firehouse remains the quarters of Engine 17, Ladder 7 and District Chief 7 to the present.