This firehouse was built in 1869 as part of the Dorchester Fire Department. The firehouse was located at 32 Walnut Street, at the corner of Lorenzo Street in the Neponset section of Dorchester. It was a single-bay firehouse with a large hose drying tower.
View a city report on the construction of the firehouse in 1869 by the Town of Dorchester: City Report
On January 3, 1870, the Town of Dorchester was annexed to the City of Boston. Thus, on annexation day, Dorchester’s Independence Engine No. 5 became Boston’s Independence Engine Company 20.
In 1901 an addition was made to the building, adding a second bay door and another large hose drying tower.
On November 15, 1901 Combination Ladder Company 11 was organized here. The company was designated Ladder Company 27 on April 21, 1905.
On June 1, 1938 Ladder 27 was moved to Engine 46’s firehouse at 1884 Dorchester Ave., Peabody Square, Ashmont.
Ladder 27 moved back to 32 Walnut Street on November 25, 1946 while renovations were underway at 1884 Dorchester Avenue. On June 26, 1947 Ladder 27 moved back to 1884 Dorchester Avenue, Peabody Square, Ashmont.
On August 12, 1958 a new firehouse opened at 301 Neponset Avenue. Engine 20 moved in, along with Ladder 27 from Ashmont, and the firehouse at 32 Walnut Street was closed.
The building was demolished at a later date and the site is now a park.