This firehouse was built in 1862. Hose Company 4 (Northampton) had earlier been organized at this address on August 18, 1860. The firehouse was located at 84 Northampton Street, midblock between Harrison Avenue and Washington Street, in the South End section of the city.
Hose 4 was disbanded on April 7, 1873 and Engine Company 23 was organized in its place.
Engine 23 remained here until March 28, 1948 when the firehouse closed. Engine 23 was sent to temporary quarters with Engine 22 and Ladder 13 at 70 Warren Avenue in the South End.
The firehouse at 84 Northampton Street was demolished at a later date.