Engine 4 had earlier been organized on May 7, 1860 at a firehouse in Court Square, Downtown. In 1862, Engine 4 moved to Scollay’s Building, located in the middle of Scollay Square, Downtown. Scollay Square was created from the merging of Court, Tremont, Cornhill, Brattle, Hanover and Howard Streets.
The building’s location in the middle of the square, with traffic flowing on both sides, was a concern for both citizens and government officials. Efforts over the years to have the four-story stone building razed as an inpediment to traffic were unsucessful. The Scollay family sold the building in 1868. Three years later the new owner sold it to the city. The building was torn down a short time later.
Barnicoat Engine 4 occupied the basement of the building, on the side facing northwesterly, toward Hanover and Howard Streets.
In 1870 Engine 4 moved to Smith’s Stable on Bulfinch Street and later to 5 Bulfinch Street.