The building was built in 1826 on a section of Tremont Street known as Tremont Row, Pemberton Hill, opposite the beginning of Hanover Street. Companies originally assigned to the firehouse were Philadelphia Engine Company 18 and Hydraulion Engine Company 19.
By 1837, Engine Company 19 had been disbanded. In 1838, Engine Co. 18 was renamed
Lafayette Engine Co. 18, which remained in this house until the company was disbanded in 1851. No further information is available.