The building was built between 1817 and 1821 to house a school, watch (police) house and engine house. The house was on the ground floor of the schoolhouse, located on the southwest corner of Derne and Temple Streets, Beacon Hill. The first English High School was established on the top floor of the building in 1821.
Hero Engine Co. 6 had quarters on the ground floor, equipped with an 1808 Thayer hand-tub engine. A hose-drying tower was added in 1827.
Hero Engine Co. 6 remained in this house until the company was disbanded on August 21, 1847. The building was demolished in advance of the construction of the Beacon Hill Reservoir.