It is unknown when this firehouse was built, but it did exist in 1838. It was the quarters of (Hand) Tremont Engine 8. The firehouse was located on Tremont Street, near the corner of Eliot (now-Stuart) Street. This was considered the South End in the early 1800’s. The location today would be called Downtown.
After the firehouse was demolished, the Winthrop School was built on a portion of the city property.
The site is now occupied by a portion of the Wilbur Theatre, built in 1913. With the erection of the Theatre, Dix Place was extended to intersect with Tremont Street.
The 1900 newspaper article below describes this firehouse/fire company in the first paragraph.
The 1900 newspaper article below describes (Hand) Engine 8 in the first paragraph.