This firehouse was opened on May 31, 1848 as the quarters of Hand Engine 9. The firehouse was located on Hudson Street between Harvard and Oak Streets. It occupied a portion of the city property of the Quincy School.
On May 1, 1860, Hand Engine 9 was disbanded and Hose Company 2 was organized. Hose 2 remained here until May 17, 1875 when the company was disbanded.
The Great Fire of 1872 occurred on November 9-10, 1872, starting at the corner of Summer & Kingston Sts. in Downtown. Hose Company 2 has been credited with getting the first water on the fire.
By 1883, the firehouse was no longer standing. No further information is available.