This firehouse was opened on November 8, 1898 when Combination Ladder Company 6 was organized. The firehouse is located at 36 Washington Street in the Grove Hall section of Roxbury, opposite Castlegate Road. It is one of the oldest active firehouses in the city.
The following fire companies have been quartered in this firehouse:
- Combination Ladder Company 6 (11/8/1898-4/21/1905)
- Ladder Company 23 (4/21/1905-present)
- Chemical Engine Company 5 (5/14/1913-10/13/1922)
- Engine Company 13 (6/11/1960-7/12/1967)
- Rescue-Pumper Company (7/12/1967-10/25/1972)
- Rescue Company 2 (10/25/1972-8/16/1973)
- Engine Company 24 (8/17/1973-present)
Combination Ladder Company 6 was disbanded on April 21, 1905 and Ladder Company 23 was organized. Engine Company 13 was one of three engine companies annexed to the City of Boston by the Town of Roxbury in 1868.
Engine 24 moved from its prior firehouse at 434 Warren Street in Roxbury where it spent four months short of 100 years (December 10, 1873 to August 17, 1973).
Three plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty.
Engine 24 and Ladder 23 have a very large response area. It covers nearly all of Roxbury, large parts of Dorchester and parts of Jamaica Plain.
Engine 24 responds to approximately 3500 incidents per year. Ladder 23 responds to approximately 3100 incidents per year.
A model of this firehouse was manufactured by Code 3 Models, along with models of both Engine 24 and Ladder 23.