This firehouse was opened on December 14, 1972 when Engine Company 48 and Ladder Company 28 moved in from their old quarters at 30 Winthrop Street, several blocks away.
The old quarters of Engine 48 and Ladder 28 had been the Headquarters of the old Hyde Park Fire Department from the days before Hyde Park was annexed to Boston in 1912. That building is no longer extant.
The new firehouse is located at 60 Fairmount Street, at the corner of Davidson Street, in the Cleary Square section of the city.
Engine 48 and Ladder 28 respond to incidents in the Hyde Park, Readville, Roslindale and Mattapan sections of the city.
Engine 48 responds to approximately 1800 incidents per year. Ladder 28 responds to approximately 1600 incidents per year.