This firehouse was built in 1910 as the Headquarters of the Hyde Park Fire Department. The firehouse became part of the Boston Fire Department on the day Hyde Park was annexed to Boston, January 1, 1912.
The firehouse was located at 30 Winthrop Street, between Harvard Avenue and Central Avenue, in the Cleary Square section of Hyde Park.
On annexation day, January 1, 1912, two hose wagons and one ladder truck transferred to the Boston Fire Department and a new fire company was organized. Thus, Hose Company 48, Ladder Company 28, and Chemical Engine Company 14 were organized. On February 2, 1912, Hose 48 was designated Engine Company 48. On June 23, 1920 Chemical 14 was disbanded.
On December 14, 1972, Engine 48 and Ladder 28 moved into a new firehouse at 60 Fairmount Street, several blocks away. The firehouse at 30 Winthrop Street was closed.
The building remained standing for some after the Fire Department vacated, however it was demolished at a later date.