This firehouse was opened on July 26, 1918 when Engine Company 49 was organized at this new firehouse, located on what was then called Milton Street at the corner of Hamilton Street.
Engine Company 49 was a successor to Hose Company 49 which had quarters at Sprague and Readville Streets. The location of the old and new firehouse is bisected by a major railroad line, the New York Main Line, of what is now called AMTRAK.
The firehouse is located at 209 Neponset Valley Parkway at the corner of Hamilton Street in the Readville section of the city.
On February 20, 1946 Ladder Company 32 was organized at this firehouse. The company was disbanded on May 25, 1954.
A bronze plaque noting WPA activity is mounted on the exterior of the firehouse.