Hose Company 49 was organized at this firehouse on January 1, 1912, the day of annexation of the Town of Hyde Park to the City of Boston. Hose 49 replaced the former Hose Company 3 of the Hyde Park Fire Department.
Hose 49 stayed here until July 26, 1918 when the company moved to a new firehouse at Milton & Hamilton Sts., across the railroad tracks and one block away from Wolcott Square. Hose Company 49 became Engine Company 49 on that date. Milton Street is now the present-day Neponset Valley Parkway.
The firehouse at Sprague & West Milton Sts. was closed and no further information is available.