This firehouse was opened on February 24, 1913 when Ladder Company 31 (Brighton) was organized. Ladder 31 was disbanded on July 12, 1920 and Engine Company 51 was organized in its place.
The firehouse is located at 425 Faneuil Street, near the corner of Bigelow Street, directly on the square at Oak Square in the Brighton section of the city.
Ladder Company 34 was organized here on March 15, 1950. It remained in service until disbanded on May 25, 1954.
Ladder Company 22 was moved here on November 13, 1972, from its former location at 44 Monument Avenue in Charlestown, where it had been organized on April 21, 1905. Ladder 22 was disbanded on April 10, 1981.
The response are for Engine 51 is primarily in the Brighton and Allston sections of the city. Engine 51 responds to approximately 1000 incidents per year.
In June, 2010, extensive renovations to the firehouse were undertaken. Engine 51 temporarily moved to the quarters of Engine 41/Ladder 14 in Union Square, Allston. On July 18, 2011, a rededication ceremony was held to mark the return of Engine 51 to its Oak Square quarters. During the ceremony, a memorial plaque was dedicated to Fire Fighter David A. Middleton.