This firehouse opened on December 19, 1887, when Hose Company 4 (Charlestown) moved in from their former firehouse at 51 Bunker Hill Street, at the corner of Tufts Street.
The firehouse was located at 44 Monument Street, just a few feet from the intersection of Bunker Hill Street.
The building was designed by City Architect Arthur H. Vinal.
Hose 4 was disbanded on September 16, 1890 and Engine Company 36 was organized in its place. On February 11, 1898 Combination Ladder Company 5 was organized at this firehouse. On April 21, 1905 Combination 5 was designated Ladder Company 22.
Both companies remained here until November 13, 1972. On that date both companies were relocated. Engine 36 moved to the quarters of Engine 32 at 525 Main Street in the Sullivan Square section of Charlestown. Ladder 22 moved to the quarters of Engine 51, at 425 Faneuil Street , in the Oak Square section of Brighton.
The firehouse at 44 Monument Street was closed. The building was demolished at a later date.