The Fire Department Shops were occupied for the first time on July 11, 1885. The Shops were part of the Fire Department Headquarters complex located on adjacent property at 60 Bristol St.
The Shops were destroyed during the Blacker and Shepard Lumber Yard fire on August 9, 1910. The fire also severely threatened the Department Headquarters building on adjacent property at 60 Bristol St.
The Shops were closed when Fire Headquarters and the Shops moved in 1951 to 115 Southampton Street in Roxbury, about one mile away.
In the 1970’s the building was renovated into a homeless shelter. The building remains extant, and the Pine Street Inn occupies the building at this time.