This firehouse was built in 1868 at the corner of Dorchester Street and West Fourth Street in South Boston. Engine Company 1 moved into the new firehouse in April, 1868.
On June 2, 1868, all fire companies were authorized to have a Name and Number, a practice that had been used in years past. Engine 1 became Mazeppa No. 1. The name and number concept stayed in effect until 1873, when Mazeppa No. 1 reverted back to Engine 1.
The building was split into two functions: Ward Room on the left and Firehouse on the right. Ward Rooms were used in the same context as present-day community centers. There were also several other rooms for community use, and two rooms to be used as classroooms, part of the Bigelow School. At a later date, the South Boston Division of the Boston Municipal Court moved in. Later, the Fire Department took control of the whole building.
View a city report on the construction of the firehouse: City Report
On October 30, 1916, Engine 1 moved around the corner to 456 West Fourth Street (extant) to share the firehouse with Ladder Company 5. This move was due to renovation of 119 Dorchester Street. On June 20, 1917 Engine 1 moved back into 119 Dorchester Street. On that date, Ladder Company 5 moved into 119 Dorchester Street and the firehouse at 456 West Fourth Street was closed.
The building remained as a firehouse until April 22, 1977 when Engine 1 moved to a new firehouse at 272 D Street.
The building has now been renovated into condominiums and remains extant.