This firehouse was built in 1869 and two fire companies were organized here in late December 1869. Walter E. Hawes Engine Company 15 was organized on December 22, 1869. Hancock Hook & Ladder Company 5 was organized on a date between December 22, 1869 and January 1, 1870.
View a city report on the construction of the firehouse: City Report
On June 2, 1868 names and numbers for all fire companies had been authorized. Names and numbers continued until 1873 when all fire companies converted to numbers only, as they remain today.
The firehouse is located at 456 West Fourth Street, near the intersection of Dorchester Street, and is directly behind the former quarters of Engine Company 1 at 119 Dorchester Street in the South Boston section of the city.
On October 30, 1916 Engine 1 moved in, due to renovations at their quarters just around the corner. On June 20, 1917 Engine 1 returned to 119 Dorchester Street. Ladder 5 also moved on that date into the quarters of Engine 1 and the firehouse at 456 West Fourth Street was closed.
The building remains extant and has been converted into condominiums, named Hook & Ladder No. 5.