The firehouse was built in 1890 on the site of a previous firehouse that had been opened on May 1, 1876. Chemical Engine Company 6 occupied the new firehouse on December 22, 1890. The firehouse was constructed with one apparatus door. It was later remodeled to allow for two apparatus doors.
The firehouse is located at 16 Harvard Avenue, near the intersection of Cambridge Street, in the Allston section of the city.
The building was designed by City Architect Harrison H. Atwood.
Engine Company 41 was organized at this firehouse on February 10, 1893. Chemical Company 6, which had been organized on this site on May 1, 1876, was disbanded on April 23, 1915.
In 1914, the firehouse was renovated from one apparatus door to two doors.
On April 5, 1916, Ladder Company 14 was reorganized at this firehouse. Ladder 14 had been in service at Fort Hill Square, Downtown from January 30, 1893 to April 23, 1915.
Engine 41 and Ladder 14 remained at this firehouse until June 15, 1977 when the companies moved to a new firehouse at 460 Cambridge Street in the Union Square section of Allston. The firehouse at 16 Harvard Avenue was closed on that date.
The building was sold and converted into office space for an investment firm.