This firehouse was built in 1873 and Engine Company 25 and Ladder Company 8 were organized here on October 1, 1873. The location at Fort Hill Square is the intersection of High Street and Oliver Street. A large park filled the center of the square and the firehouse was located with one side of the building abutting High Street and the building facing in a westerly direction.
In September, 1875, a fire department hose and harness shop was established here.
On March 28, 1876 Aerial Ladder 1 was placed in service, under the command of Ladder 8. No personnel were assigned to this apparatus. In 1880 this apparatus was transferred to the former firehouse of Engine 3 at 1171 Washington Street in the South End. It was assigned one driver and was given an alarm response assignment.
On March 20, 1882, the Water Tower Company was organized at Fort Hill Square.
On June 30, 1883 Aerial Ladder 1 returned to Fort Hill Square, and was designated Ladder Company 14, although it was again under the command of Ladder 8, but was assigned a permanent driver. Also on that date, the Water Tower was moved to the quarters of Engine 4 at 5 Bulfinch Street. Ladder Company 14 was disbanded on April 23, 1915.
On June 15, 1917 Rescue Company 1 was organized at Fort Hill Square. It stayed until June 5, 1922 when the company moved to the former quarters of Chemical Engine Company 2 at 25 Church Street in the South End.
On September 14, 1923, the Water Tower 1 (formerly the Water Tower Company) returned to Fort Hill Square. It stayed here until November 10, 1930 when it moved to the new Bowdoin Square firehouse.
On October 17, 1933 Water Tower 1 again moved to Fort Hill Square, this time staying for ten years. On December 16, 1943, it was sent to the firehouse at Bowdoin Square.
On September 26, 1952 the companies at Fort Hill Square departed for temporary locations and the firehouse at Fort Hill Square was immediately torn down to make way for a ramp from the new elevated Central Artery highway under construction at the time. As a replacement, construction began on a new firehouse across Fort Hill Square, at 123 Oliver Street.