The first regularly organized steam fire engine company was organized here on November 1, 1859, and it is from that date the modern Boston Fire Department traces its history. Engine 8 was the first regularly organized company in the Fire Department and some of the members were full time paid employees.
The firehouse was located at 12 North Bennet Street, at the corner of Bennet Place. The firehouse was closed in January, 1869 when Engine 8 moved to the quarters of Hose Company 1 at 133 Salem Street (extant).
This two story brick building was built as a private residence in the very early 1800’s and was purchased by the City in 1858. It was rebuilt into a fire station at that time and a stable was added in the rear. When Engine 8 moved to Salem St. In 1869, the old firehouse was used briefly as quarters for the newly organized Protective Department. Later it was sold to a private party who operated an express company using the building to house a horse and wagon. In the 1890’s the building was rebuilt for residential use and a third floor added and continues as such today.