Hose Company 1 moved into this new firehouse in March, 1868, having moved from their former firehouse at 114 Salem Street, at the corner of Jerusalem Place. Hose Company 1 was disbanded in 1873. Engine Company 8 moved from their former firehouse at 12 North Bennet Street in January, 1869.
The firehouse was located at 133 Salem Street, between Parmenter Street and Prince Street in the North End section of Boston.
View a city report on the construction of the firehouse: City Report
On June 2, 1868 names and numbers for all fire companies were authorized. Engine 8 became Northern Liberty No. 8 and Hose 1 became Washington No. 1. Names and numbers continued until 1873 when all fire companies converted to numbers only, as they remain today.
Engine 8 maintained quarters here until October 30, 1916, when they moved to the North End Paving Yard at 521 Commercial Street and shared quarters with Engine Company 31 (Fireboat), while renovations took place at 133 Salem Street.
Engine 8 moved back to 133 Salem Street on July 5, 1917 and stayed there until September 15, 1948 when the new firehouse at 392 Hanover Street opened.
The house at 133 Salem Street was closed and sold by the city. The building was converted to residential and commercial use. The building remains extant today and still maintains some of the distinctive features of a firehouse.