This firehouse is located at 114 Salem Street, at the corner of Jerusalem Place.
Hose Company 1 (Salem Street) was organized in this firehouse on April 1, 1860. The firehouse was built in 1829 for Washington Hand Engine No. 3. Hand Hose Co. 1 replaced Hand Engine 3 on Feb. 1, 1849. Horse Hose Co. 1 replaced Hand Hose 1 on April 1, 1860. Hose 1 was located here until March, 1868 when they moved into a new firehouse at 133 Salem St., one block away.
The Department later used the firehouse as a coaling station. The department member assigned here would deliver coal for the steam fire engines at fire scenes throughout the city.
The building was sold, remains extant, and is currently used for commercial and residential use. LoConte’s Restaurant occupies the first floor.