This firehouse was opened as a temporary firehouse in 1906 for Combination Wagon 1 (Ashmont) and later for Chemical Engine Company 11 (Dorchester). The city had desired for several years to establish a fire company in this part of a rapidly developing residential area of Dorchester.
The firehouse was located at 11 Carlos Street, at the corner of Callender Street, in a building leased by the city from a former city councilman, T. M. Harvey.
The building was a one and one-half story wooden structure. It was not designed for fire department usage and the personnel and horses had to make the best of the situation.
Chemical Engine Company 11 was organized on January 10, 1907, upon the organization of Engine Company 46 at the Peabody Square (Ashmont) firehouse and the disbanding of Combination Wagon 1.
Chemical Engine Company 11 (Dorchester) stayed here until December 30, 1910, when they moved to a new firehouse at 120 Callender Street, several blocks away. No further information is available about the status of the property at 11 Carlos Street.