A firehouse was located on this site since at least 1827, at which time ‘South Boston’ Engine 17 was in service. Richard Lock was the Foreman, William Lock was the Assistant Foreman, and Joshua S. Goodhale was the Clerk.
In 1829 the company in the firehouse became ‘Mazeppa’ Engine 17 and received a new hand-tub, an 1829 Thayer, 6 3/4″ size engine.
In 1852 a reorganization within the fire department resulted in Mazeppa Engine 17 becoming Mazeppa Engine 1. In 1855 the company received a new Hunneman hand-engine, size 5 11/16″.
Engine 1 (steam) was organized here on December 19, 1859 and the hand-engine company disbanded.
This remained the firehouse of Engine 1 until April, 1868, when the company moved to a new house at Dorchester St & West Fourth Street. The old firehouse was torn down at a later date, as it occupied a portion of School Department property, where the Hawes School was located.