This firehouse was built in 1869 as part of the Dorchester Fire Department. It became part of the Boston Fire Department on January 3, 1870 when the Town of Dorchester was annexed to the City of Boston.
The firehouse was located at the corner of River and Temple Streets, just a short distance from Pierce Square in the Lower Mills section of Dorchester.
This firehouse was unique in that the assigned fire apparatus operated from two sides of the firehouse and from two different floor levels. The main address of 2 Temple Street, a side street off River Street, was the quarters of the engine company, while below on the River Street side, 51 River Street was the address of the ladder company.
The 1870 city report on the construction of the firehouse in 1869 by the Town of Dorchester:
On annexation day, Dorchester’s S. H. Hebard Engine No. 1 became Boston’s S. H. Hebard Engine Company 16, and Dorchester’s General Grant Ladder No. 1 became Boston’s General Grant Ladder Company 6.
On June 1, 1938 Ladder 6 moved to the firehouse of Engine Company 19 in the Mattapan section of Dorchester.
On December 5, 1946, Engine Company 46 moved from 1884 Dorchester Avenue at Peabody Square to 2 Temple Street, while renovations took place. Engine 46 moved back to 1884 Dorchester Avenue on June 26, 1947.
On August 12, 1958 Engine 16 moved to the former quarters of Engine 46 at 1884 Dorchester Avenue, Peabody Square, in the Ashmont section of Dorchester. The firehouse 2 Temple Street was closed.
In years after its closure, a Civil Defense fire engine, CD 10, operated from this firehouse. In those days, Civil Defense organizations frequently provided back-up assistance to municipal agencies.
On December 22, 1971, a serious fire occurred and caused significant damage to the CD supplies that were stored there. Two alarms were struck on Box 3572 for this fire. The permit for demolition was granted on May 18, 1972. The property is currently a vacant lot.