The firehouse was built in 1869 as part of the Dorchester Fire Department. It was located at 128 Babson Street (formerly Norfolk Street), near the intersection of Fremont Street, in the Mattapan section of Dorchester.
The firehouse had a remarkable resemblance to a church, with tower-like structures at the left and right-front corners of the building.
The 1870 city report on the construction of the firehouse in 1869 by the Town of Dorchester:
On annexation day, January 3, 1870, Dorchester’s Alert Engine No. 4 became Boston’s Alert Engine Company 19.
The two high belfry towers were removed in 1920.
On June 1, 1938 Ladder 6 moved in, having relocated from its former quarters at 51 River Street & 2 Temple Street, Dorchester Lower Mills.
On December 31, 1958, Ladder 6 moved to a new firehouse at 9 Gallivan Boulevard, with Engine 16. Engine 19 was disbanded and the firehouse at 128 Babson Street was closed and later demolished.