This firehouse was opened in May, 1837 located on (West) Broadway, between B Street and C Street. It was occupied by ‘Perkins’ Engine 16.
In 1849 this section of South Boston was designated ‘The Point’.
In 1852 a reorganization within the Fire Department resulted in Perkins Engine 16 becoming Perkins Engine 2.
In the late 1850’s a Police Station was opened at this location.
Perkins Engine 2 remained here as a hand-engine company after the fire department advanced to steam fire engines and a reorganization of the fire department occurred in late 1859.
In 1860 Engine 2 received a new steam engine and was thus required to move to a firehouse that could accommodate the new engine. Engine 2 moved to a firehouse at 715 East Fourth Street in South Boston.
The Police Station continued to occupy the property at 196 West Broadway for many years, until at least 1899. In 1919, the Police Station had already been relocated to D street, near West Broadway.
It is unknown when the old building at 196 Broadway was torn down.