The firehouse was built in 1857 and was occupied by Hand Engine Company 14 in November, 1857, before the reorganization of the Boston Fire Department in 1859. Engine Company 2 was organized here on September 17, 1860.
The firehouse is located at 715 East Fourth Street between K Street and L Street in South Boston.
On June 2, 1868 names and numbers for all fire companies were authorized. Engine 2 became S. R. Spinney No. 2. Names and numbers continued until 1873 when all fire companies converted to numbers only, as they remain today.
On May 10, 1882 Engine 2 moved and swapped quarters with Hose Company 12. Engine 2 moved into 863 East Fourth Street at the corner of O Street. Hose 12 moved to 715 East Fourth Street.
On May 10, 1893 Hose Company 12 was disbanded and Combination Wagon Company 2 was organized. On April 21, 1905, Combination Wagon 2 was designated Ladder Company 19.
Ladder 19 stayed here until May 2, 1932 when the company left to occupy the new firehouse at 700 East Fourth Street at the corner of K Street, about 100 yards away. The firehouse at 715 East Fourth Street was closed.
The building was sold, remains extant, and is now occupied by the Thomas J. Fitzgerald VFW Post 561.