The firehouse at Castle Island Terminal in South Boston was opened on October 12, 1950 when (Fireboat) Engine Company 31 moved in. Engine 31 had been berthed at Battery Wharf, North End.
The firehouse at Castle Island was shortlived. When the first large ocean storm of the winter struck in November, 1950, the location was deemed dangerous and unsuitable for continued operations.
Fireboat Engine 31 moved back to its old quarters/berth at Battery Wharf, North End, on November 29, 1950.