Chemical 5 firehouse at 3089 Washington Street, West Roxbury (1876)
The City built a new firehouse at 3089 Washington St., just south of Egleston Sq. in 1876. The new firehouse was 2 1/2 stories high, of wood construction and contained one apparatus bay. The firehouse was located on the west side of the street half way between Beethoven and Atherton Sts. Chemical Co. 5 was organized at a temporary location on Walnut Park on November 21,1874 and moved to their new quarters on Washington St. on June 1, 1876.
Chemical 5 remained at this location until the firehouse was closed in November, 1890. The company moved to a temporary location in a barn at the rear of 46 Seaver St. (2026 Columbus Ave.) while a new brick engine house was built at the same location at 3089 Washington St.
Engine 42, Chemical 5, Ladder 30 firehouse at 3089 Washington Street, West Roxbury (1892)
The wood firehouse at 3089 Washington St. was sold and moved to the adjacent lot of land at 3081 Washington St. A new two story brick, two bay firehouse, 34 ft. x 83 ft. deep, was built on the original lot at 3089 Washington St.
Chemical 5 moved from the temporary location at 46 Seaver St. to their new quarters at 3089 Washington St. on October 27, 1892.
Engine Company 42 was established at 3089 Washington St. on February 10,1893 as a permanent company with a Silsby steam fire engine.
On March 5, 1913, a new ladder truck was organized at this location. Ladder Company 30 was placed in service with a motor ladder and chemical truck. Chemical Co. 5 was disbanded the same day.
On September 17, 1920, motor apparatus replaced the horse drawn engine and hose wagon of Engine 42.
On August 6, 1926, Engine 42 and Ladder 30 were temporarily moved to other locations due to reconstruction of the firehouse. A new concrete floor was installed and a third story added to the building. The companies returned to 3089 Washington St. on April 1, 1927.
The city service ladder truck of Ladder 30 was replaced by a 75 foot aerial ladder truck on November 22, 1927.
On December 19,1952, Engine 42 and Ladder 30 moved to a new firehouse built at 1870 Columbus Ave. The old firehouse was permanently closed and remained standing for many years.
In 1965, the Building Department started to receive complaints regarding broken windows and doors at this location. The building was vacant and open to the elements. A permit for demolition was issued on October 23, 1968 and the job was completed in April, 1969.