This firehouse was opened on December 19, 1952 when Engine Company 42 and Ladder Company 30 moved in from their old firehouse at 3089 Washington Street. The old firehouse is no longer extant.
The firehouse is located at 1870 Columbus Avenue, opposite Bragdon Street in the Egleston Square section of the city.
Ladder 30 was disbanded on April 10, 1981. On the same day, Rescue Company 2 moved in from their former quarters with Engine 52 & Ladder 29 at 975 Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester. On January 14, 1982, Rescue Company 2 was disbanded. It was reactivated in 1985 and remains in service today.
The District Fire Chief of District 9 shares quarters in this firehouse.
Four plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty.
Engine 42 and Rescue 2 have differing response areas. Engine 42 responds to incidents in the Roxbury, Fenway and Jamaica Plain areas. Rescue 2 responds to all major incidents in the Division 2 areas of the city.
Engine 42 responds to approximately 2700 incidents per year. Rescue 2 responds to approximately 2300 incidents per year.