This firehouse was opened in August 1909 when (Fireboat) Engine Company 47 was organized. Read a newspaper story on the opening of the firehouse. Story.
The firehouse was located at the pier at the foot of Lewis Street, East Boston, at the East Boston South Ferry Terminal. The pier was a short distance from Maverick Square.
On March 15, 1911 Fireboat Engine Company 31 was reactivated here. Later, Engine 31 moved, on August 5, 1911, to its former quarters at 521/531 Commercial Street in the North End.
On January 15, 1919, in the aftermath of the ‘Molasses Disaster’ Engine 31 again moved to the berth at Engine 47 in East Boston, and remained there until July 7, 1924.
Engine 47 remained in service at Lewis Street until 1943, when it was placed out of service. On March 10, 1948, Engine 47 was reactivated and placed in service at Battery Wharf , North End. The firehouse at Lewis Wharf, East Boston, was abandoned.