This firehouse was occupied by Engine Company 6 in the 1840’s. The firehouse occupied a corner of the property upon which the Leverett Street Jail was located. The firehouse was located directly across from Hammond Avenue.
Engine 6 remain here until 1853 when the company moved to 30 Wall Street, one block away. The old firehouse at 81 Leverett Street, along with the Jail, were demolished and tenement housing was built.