The firehouse at 30 Wall Street was built in 1853 and was occupied by Hand Engine 6. Hand Engine 6 moved in from their prior location beside the Leverett Street Jail at (81) Leverett Street.
On January 1, 1859 the modern Boston Fire Department organized (steam) Engine Company 6 at this firehouse.
The firehouse was located on Wall Street in the former West End of Boston, between Cotting Street and Causeway Street, approximately where the Thomas P. O’Neill Federal Building is sited today.
On June 2, 1868, all fire companies were authorized to have a Name and Number, a practice that had been used in years past. Engine 6 became Melville No. 6. The name and number concept stayed in effect until 1873, when Melville No. 6 reverted back to Engine 6.
On July 31, 1888 Engine 6 moved to a new firehouse at 26 Leverett Street, several blocks away. The firehouse at 30 Wall Street was closed and was later demolished.