This firehouse was located in an old three story brick and wood dwelling (ca. 1825) located at 41 Purchase St. just west of Congress St. The City authorized the purchase of this estate from Josiah Clough on November 19,1857 for $7000 and then renovated the building at a cost of $1375. The Fire Department used the first floor as an engine house and there was a meeting room on the second floor that was the ward room for Ward 7. The engine house was the quarters of Tiger Hand Engine 7 and they moved to this location in February, 1858 from their previous engine house located at 146 Purchase St. near Fort Hill Sq.
Hand Engine 7 remained in service at this location until January 1, 1859 when the volunteer company was replaced by Steam Fire Engine Co. 7. The City made alterations to accommodate the steam fire engine and a team of horses that cost $1002 and included the construction of a stable in the rear.
Engine Co. 7 remained here until January 1, 1870 when they moved to a new firehouse nearby at 7 East St. The old firehouse was then sold to a private citizen.
The former firehouse on Purchase St. was destroyed in the Great Boston Fire of November 9, 1872.