The firehouse at 7 East St. was the quarters of Engine Company 7 and was built in 1923. The three story, single bay building was built of brick with Limestone trim and is located at the corner of East St. Place. The new firehouse replaced an old building at the same location. Engine 7 moved to the new firehouse from temporary quarters at Engine 25 in Fort Hill Sq. on June 27, 1923.
Read a newspaper story on the construction of the new firehouse. Story
Engine 7 remained at this location until November 12, 1953 when they moved to the new firehouse at 123 Oliver St. with Division 1, District 5, Engine 25, Ladder 8, and Rescue 1.
The Chief of District 5 was also quartered here for two periods. The first beginning October 9, 1925 and ending on April 17, 1928 when they moved to the new quarters of Engine 26/35 at 194 Broadway. They were also located here from August 9, 1939 to November 12, 1953 when they moved to the new firehouse at 123 Oliver St.
Engine 7 quarters is still standing and has been occupied as a restaurant since 2007.
Engine 7 also occupied an older firehouse at the same location that was built in 1869. The old two story brick firehouse was opened on January 1, 1870 and Engine 7 moved there from their former quarters at No. 41 Purchase St., near Congress St. Engine 7 was organized as a Steam Fire Engine Co. on January 1, 1859 at that location.
A fire caused $3000 damage to the firehouse on December 1, 1871.
Engine 7 responded to the great Boston fire on a still alarm from this location on November 9, 1872. The fire started at Summer and Kingston Sts., a few blocks from the firehouse.
The firehouse was torn down in 1922 to make way for the new firehouse built on this site in 1923.