The Washington Village section of the Town of Dorchester was annexed to the City of Boston on May 21, 1855 (M.G.L., Chapter 468, Acts of 1855).
On June 28, 1861, the Board of Aldermen ordered that a Hose Company be established at Washington Village for the protection of that community. Land was purchased on Dorchester Street for that purpose.
On November 1, 1861, (Hand) Hose Company 10 was placed in service at a new firehouse at 330 Dorchester Street, at the corner of Jenkins Street. It was intended that this company would provide fire protection in the immediate area of Washington Village only. The Hose Company was comprised of one foreman, one steward and six call hosemen.
On March 1, 1868 the company was reorganized as (Horse) Hose Company 10. The company was assigned a new Amoskeag horse-drawn hose wagon. Modifications were made to the firehouse to accomodate a stable for one horse and sleeping quarters for the driver on the second floor.
On June 2, 1868, Hose Company 10 was named ‘Bradlee’ Hose Company 10. On June 10, 1874, the company was reorganized as a part-permanent company. The company consisted of one paid officer and one paid driver, with call men comprising the remainder of the company. On July 5, 1889, the company was changed from part-permanent to permanent status. All members of the company were paid and officially part of the Boston Fire Department.
The company remained in service here until March 30, 1893 when they moved to a new firehouse at 5 Boston Street, in Andrew Square. The new firehouse was intended to house a new engine company, Engine 43. Later, on November 13, 1893, Engine 43 was organized and Hose Company 10 was disbanded on that date.
After Hose 10 left 330 Dorchester Street, the firehouse remained active in the Fire Department’s roster as a coal station, to supply the steam fire engines. A coal wagon and a supply of coal was kept in the firehouse. If a supply of coal was needed at a fire in the South Boston area, a firefighter would be sent in a horse-drawn wagon to the coal station. The horse would be hitched to the loaded coal wagon and the coal was delivered.
The building was demolished in 2014 took make way for a 4-story condominium building